Thursday, February 23, 2012

WHICH CAMERA SHOULD YOU BUY?

A question I get asked fairly often is "I want to get into photography, what is the best camera to buy?" usually they are deciding on Canon, Nikon or some other brand.
I am a Canon shooter, but I could just as easily have been a Nikon shooter. I purchased a Canon years ago and my lenses are canon, so I have essentially brought into a lens system. The technology in cameras these days is amazing and it is getting better all the time.
Photography is more about vision and light than megapixels and camera manufacturers. My opinion is don't spend too much on your first DSLR, get something YOU feel comfortable with and can afford. You will get more out of photography by just getting out there and practicing regardless of your camera, maybe take a lesson or two.
Don't get me wrong, there is a difference between say a Canon 60D and a Canon 1d but believe me if you give a good professional photographer a point and shoot and a non photographer a top of the range Hasselblad, the better image would come from the experienced photographer.
This image below was taken with a Canon point and shoot (G10).

1 comment:

  1. so very very true! and that image of light and trees is amazing. some of my most faved images ever on flickr have been from my old Canon Powershot A630, and that cam got me about 300 Explore shots! since I went to DSLR (Rebel xsi first and now Rebel t2i) I get hardly any Explore shots. not that I care about that other than as a point that you can do a lot with a P&S if you really SEE what you are looking at!

    ReplyDelete